10 questions you should ask before buying a mattress
1. What am I looking for in a mattress?
Your personal needs and requirements should determine what type of mattress you buy. Consider the special attributes each mattress offers to decide which mattress fulfils your needs best.
2. What level of firmness is best for me?
Plush or firm? There is no right or wrong answer. You might've always believed that you like a firm bed until you try a softer one, or vice versa. So try them all and choose the mattress that offers you the most comfort.
3. Does my sleeping position affect my mattress choice?
Whether you sleep on your back, side or stomach, the correct mattress should be comfortable for your whole body and keep your spine in alignment.
4. Does the mattress properly align my spine?
Sleeping posture is one of the most important considerations. Choose a mattress that allows your hips and shoulders to sink slightly while still supporting your waist, to make sure it keeps your spine straight.
5. Is the mattress firm enough?
If you have difficulty rolling over, the bed is probably too soft. If the bed is too firm, you'll feel pressure against your hips and shoulders.
Lie on your back and try to slide your hand under the small of your back. If your hand slides in too easily, the mattress may be too firm.
6. Does the mattress evenly distribute pressure?
A good mattress has coils that evenly distribute pressure underneath the body. This reduces tossing and turning by preventing any uncomfortable pressure points while sleeping.
7. Is the mattress firm enough to support my weight? If you're heavier, you'll need more support to keep your body aligned. So make sure that the mattress you choose will keep your spine perfectly aligned the whole night through.
8. Have I spent at least 15 minutes on the mattress before deciding?
By spending five minutes each on your back and both sides (as well as your stomach, if that's one of your normal sleeping positions), you should have enough time to determine if the mattress is the right choice for you. If you sleep with a partner, try it out together.
9. Am I buying the right size?
The general rule of thumb is to buy the biggest bed you can fit into your room. The larger the bed, the more room you (and your sleeping partner) have to move during the night without disturbing each other.
10. Is the mattress long enough?
Taller people need more room to stretch out comfortably, so it's important to check that the mattress is longer than the tallest sleeper.
There are no products to list in this category.